Parking Permits are available from Donna Loucks, Clerk/Treasurer for the Village of Castorland.  Please call her at 376-3895 to make an appointment.


Qualifying Disabilities for Plates or Parking Permits for People with severe Disabilities:


            A qualifying disability is one or more of the following impairments, disabilities or conditions, that affect mobility and are permanent in nature.

1.         Use of portable oxygen;


2.         Legal blindness;


3.         Limited use, or no use, of one or both legs;


4.         Inability to walk 200 feet without stopping;


5.         A neuro-muscular dysfunction that severely limits mobility;


6.         A Class III or IV cardiac condition (American Heart Association standards);


7.         Severe limitations in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition;


8.         Restriction because of lung disease to such an extent that forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixtyu mm/hg of room air at rest;


9.         Any other physical or mental impairment not previously listed which constitutes an equal degree of disability, and imposes unusual hardship in the use of public transportation and prevents the person from getting around without great difficulty.


A Temporary Parking Permit may be issued when a person has a temporary disabling condition which affects mobility so that the person is unable to walk without a cane, crutches, a walker or other assisting device.




            You must obtain proof of the disability from a medical doctor (MD), doctor of osteopathy (DO) or doctor of podiatric medicine (DPM), licensed in NYS only. Only these medical professionals are considered “doctors” as the term is used in this instance. A doctor licensed in NY or another state may certify for conditions 1 through 8 previously mentioned. Only doctors licensed in NYS may certify for condition 9.




To be eligible for a permit, you must live in New York State, but you need not be a licensed driver or own a vehicle. You must apply in the locality in which you live.


Any vehicle with a license plate or valid permit displaying the International Symbol of Access may use parking spaces designated for use by a person with a disability. The person to whom the license plate or permit was issued must be traveling in the vehicle in order to use these spaces.








Website Created by Dee's Website Center                                                                                                                                                         Copyright © 2011 Village of Castorland, NY